The Fiji islands enjoy a whole variety of sport fish species from reef dwelling coral trout to oceanic blue marlin. Whilst we usually target particular species aboard our offshore game fishing vessel Bite Me at Matava in Fiji, we sometimes take resort guests out simply to catch dinner and have fun doing so.
Its general fishing (Otherwise known as “I don’t care what I catch just as long as its big and tasty”) so we cover all our bases and target a variety of different species.
Offshore, we run 15kg (30lb) Penn International 30Ts on Penn Millennium rods with a 9ft double connected to a short leader. In the winter time, (May – September) most lures are rigged on a wire trace because of the wahoo packs that congregate along the barrier reef.
The sample spread below should give you an idea of how we fish the outer barrier reef slopes and offshore blue water for anything and everything found out there.
Sample “I don’t care” spread from our Offshore DeepV big game boat ‘Bite Me’
- Halco Laser Pro 190 Crazy Deep – Silver (mullet), Target – Mackerel, Barracuda Tuna, GT’s
- Wellsys Talai (Medium) – Purple,Target – Wahoo, Sailfish
- Lurestreet Raptor or Classic – Green / Gold or Red / White, Target – Wahoo, Mackerel, Barracuda, Tuna
- Halco Laser Pro 190 minnow – Redhead, Target – Wahoo, Mackerel, Barracuda, Tuna
- Wellsys Turbojet – Blue Silver / Green Gold (Evil), Target – Wahoo, Mackerel, Sailfish, Mahi mahi
- Lurestreet Yahoowahoo – Lumo Green or Blue/White, Target – Wahoo, Sailfish, Mahi mahi
- Wellsys Micro Bullet – Red black / Pink, Target – Tuna
- Pakula Sprocket – Lumo Green, Target – Wahoo, Sailfish
- Narrow Barred (Spanish) Mackerel
- Shark Mackerel
- Double lined Mackerel
- Yellowfin Tuna
- Skipjack Tuna
- Mackerel Tuna (Kawakawa)
- Bigeye Tuna
- Great Barracuda
- Chevron Barracuda
- Bigeye Barracuda
Where we get our Offshore lures :
Palmfishing & Outdoors: Fishing Tackle Warehouse, Palm Fishing, Fishing News, Feeds, Community, Forums